Steinway "pinning" dilemma

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:41:51 EDT

Fred writes:

<<      I have found a fairly rapid drop in friction after re-pinning,
somewhat
similar to drop in torque when stringing, where after two to three months
(granted, of heavy use, and possibly drop in humidity), friction will drop
by at least a couple grams, and number of swings will increase from three
to five, from four to seven, or so. In a sense, what I am doing is
"floating" frictional parameters - making it too tight to begin with so it
will be right longer. And removing as little felt as possible to preserve
the bushings as long as possible. <<

   I would also describe most of my repinning the same way, with the growing
exception of new Steinway hammer shanks and underlevers.  Some, over the last
three years, have tightened up after the sale and had to be reamed.  I found
that if I loosened them up to perfect, they would stay near that.  If I left
them a little tight, they stayed that way or even regressed to tighter.
   It was explained to me, by a factory figure, that the same felt had been
used with larger pins and the difference was in more wetting solution
application.  The felt was supposed to shrink more and be firmer, but instead,
continued to expand with use and tighten down on the pin.
   I pin these pianos to be right on from the get-go.  Usually 5 swings is a
central aim, but I will let them go 7 if the weather is dry.

>> And I sure wish action makers would
revert to starting off with 19 centerpins, instead of 20.5 or so. >>

   I was told that the automated machinery used to drive these pins in the
parts requires the larger sizes to reduce the bend and failure rate of the
machines.
regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/