bobbling hammers, again

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:48:04 -0400

Oops-
I meant to write backcheck, not damper....that happens more and more =
these days.  Anyway, it was a great class about backchecks.  And the =
action geometry is also very good. =20
You could maybe set up a bunch of backcheck problems that way.  And it =
would be cheaper to buy a Steinway action model (naive thought, there).  =

The thing about doing it with a full action is that you wouldn't be able =
to see it...which is the way these darling problems happen.  I guess you =
could throw a curtain over the action model.

Ed
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Horace Greeley=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 7:30 PM
  Subject: Re: bobbling hammers, again

  Hi, Ed,

  At 06:36 PM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

    Hello, Horace, where've you been?

  Under a rock....

    Richard Davenport's damper class is very, very good.  It is mostly =
about installing new dampers properly.

  Hmmm - the class I was thinking about was one for which he had built a =
special action model with modified parts so that any number of variables =
could be achieved.  I think it was called: "What if?"...but, memory =
fails.

    What I'm imagining is an action that is rigged to have as many of =
the subtle frustrations (such as Wim's backcheck problems) as could be =
fitted into 88 keys.  The object would be to learn to diagnose quickly, =
mostly by touch, without pulling the stack.

  Richard's model was only one or two keys (I think). =20

  I like the idea of a full action, but wonder about the visibility of =
the parts/relationships.

    If anyone has a Steinway action about to be ditched, I would =
undertake the rigging!

  What? Throw away the Crown Jewel of Perfection of piano manufacture?  =
Get thee behind me!  Block my hammer!

  Still, the visual does have some degree of visceral appeal...

  Horace

    Ed Sutton

      ----- Original Message -----=20