bobbling hammers, again

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 16:30:13 -0700

Hi, Ed,

At 06:36 PM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello, Horace, where've you been?

Under a rock....

>Richard Davenport's damper class is very, very good.  It is mostly about
>installing new dampers properly.

Hmmm - the class I was thinking about was one for which he had built a
special action model with modified parts so that any number of variables
could be achieved.  I think it was called: "What if?"...but, memory fails.

>What I'm imagining is an action that is rigged to have as many of the
>subtle frustrations (such as Wim's backcheck problems) as could be fitted
>into 88 keys.  The object would be to learn to diagnose quickly, mostly by
>touch, without pulling the stack.

Richard's model was only one or two keys (I think).

I like the idea of a full action, but wonder about the visibility of the
parts/relationships.

>If anyone has a Steinway action about to be ditched, I would undertake the
>rigging!

What? Throw away the Crown Jewel of Perfection of piano manufacture?  Get
thee behind me!  Block my hammer!

Still, the visual does have some degree of visceral appeal...

Horace