That dadgumed short SD-10

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 11:38:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/7/03 10:18:58 AM Central Daylight Time, edoss@utm.edu
writes:

> It seems to me that we should raise it up at least 1 1/4" so the height of
> the keys from the floor are the same as the Steinways.  The piano truck
> does seem to bow up in the middle an inordinate amount.  Placing an extra
> leg in the center thereby allowing the weight of the piano to press down on
> the center of the truck is not a option, primarily due to aesthetic
> reasons.  I am thinking about lifting the piano off the truck and
> readjusting the bolts that hold the extensions in place, although I don't
> think this would gain us much height, if any.  The piano has been on this
> truck for 30 years, so it may be permanently bowed.  I wondered about
> placing a 1" or 1 1/4" aluminum spacer between the leg cup on the truck and
> the truck itself.  This would mean replacing the large screw that hold the
> leg cup on with a longer one.  Extending the leg with a wood extension is
> also not an option due to the castor insert (although I guess that could be
> removed, since it will never be used with the original wheels (I don't know
> where they are for that matter).  This professor is the only one who has
> complained, but he is tall so that would account for the problem.  Surgery
> on his legs is not an option either, I don't think.  Let me know what you
> think.
>  Joy!
>  Elwood
>
> Elwood Doss, Jr.

Elwood

You cannot eliminate the bow in the truck. I tried what you whant to do on
the truck in the concert hall, and it didn't solve the problem. Besides, 1
1/4" is a lot. I don't think the keybed height can be attributed to the bowed
truck. I think the Baldwin probably had larger casters when it was new, that
made the keybed higher. But maybe Baldwin's are lower than Steinways. I don't
know.

Your suggestion of putting the spacer between the cup and the truck is
probably the best and easiest solution. However, surgery might be more
permanent. But if you did that in your shop on the band saw, the clean up
could be awfully messy.

Wim