That dadgumed short SD-10

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:54:00 -0500

That's good Wim!  I'm glad to know about the bow.  It will save me a lot =
of lifting and experimenting.  Thanks for the advice.
Joy!
Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr.
Technical Director/Piano Technician
Department of Music
225 Fine Arts Building
University of Tennessee at Martin
731/587-7482
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 10:38 AM
  Subject: Re: That dadgumed short SD-10

  In a message dated 5/7/03 10:18:58 AM Central Daylight Time, =
edoss@utm.edu writes:

    It seems to me that we should raise it up at least 1 1/4" so the =
height of the keys from the floor are the same as the Steinways.  The =
piano truck does seem to bow up in the middle an inordinate amount.  =
Placing an extra leg in the center thereby allowing the weight of the =
piano to press down on the center of the truck is not a option, =
primarily due to aesthetic reasons.  I am thinking about lifting the =
piano off the truck and readjusting the bolts that hold the extensions =
in place, although I don't think this would gain us much height, if any. =
 The piano has been on this truck for 30 years, so it may be permanently =
bowed.& nbsp; I wondered about placing a 1" or 1 1/4" aluminum spacer =
between the leg cup on the truck and the truck itself.  This would mean =
replacing the large screw that hold the leg cup on with a longer one.  =
Extending the leg with a wood extension is also not an option due to the =
castor insert (although I guess that could be removed, since it will =
never be used with the original wheels (I don't know where they are for =
that matter).  This professor is the only one who has complained, but he =
is tall so that would account for the problem.  Surgery on his legs is =
not an option either, I don't think.  Let me know what you think.
    Joy!
    Elwood=20

    Elwood Doss, Jr.

  Elwood

  You cannot eliminate the bow in the truck. I tried what you whant to =
do on the truck in the concert hall, and it didn't solve the problem. =
Besides, 1 1/4" is a lot. I don't think the keybed height can be =
attributed to the bowed truck. I think the Baldwin probably had larger =
casters when it was new, that made the keybed higher. But maybe =
Baldwin's are lower than Steinways. I don't know.

  Your suggestion of putting the spacer between the cup and the truck is =
probably the best and easiest solution. However, surgery might be more =
permanent. But if you did that in your shop on the band saw, the clean =
up could be awfully messy.=20

  Wim=20