steam and heat, was RE: amazing, but true

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:29:33 -0600

Hi Isaac,
	I agree that re-fluffing felts, whether keybushing, wippen heel or other,
doesn't constitute "real re-conditioning," in the sense I would use that in
dealing with individual customers. And the effectiveness of steaming is a
lot less with older felt, whether because of loss of resilience or wear.
	I look on these techniques as a way of taking a relatively small amount of
time to maintain as new a feel as possible in a piano for as long as
possible. Mostly I'm talking about a fairly new piano, or bushings that are
within five to ten years old. After one to five years, a bushing job that
was initially firm has usually started to feel sloppy. Removing the keys,
steam-sizing the bushings, polishing and lubing the pins, all together this
will improve the performance of the piano, keeping it at a high level
longer. ANd I think brushing, steaming, ironing and lubing (powdered teflon
is what I use) the wipp cushions, together with polishing and lubing the
capstans, is another good way to prolong the high level of performance. I'm
talking about a couple extra hours work, here, and my experience so far
tells me it is a worthwhile investment.
	The ideal for institutional maintenance is to keep pianos in "like new,"
top condition, all the time. With private customers, it is far more likely
that the piano deteriorates a good bit more before they are willing to
invest  money for a "reconditioning." At which time I would be far more
likely to rebush and replace wipp cushion felt.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
Universidad de Nuevo Mexico

--On Wednesday, July 23, 2003 11:26 AM +0200 Isaac sur Noos