steam and heat, was RE: amazing, but true

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:05:46 -0600

Hi Fred,
              Being one of those guys  that has played with steam in
various forms, once you understand the limitations it's a valuable
tool.  Key bushing cauls and steam works well to get a fast improvement for
minimum dollars.  It also firms up the B/R hole at the same time.
Another little dirty trick, that is fast for a big improvement, is too flex
the B/R pin forward, with an awl.  Support the rear of the key with one
hand, insert the awl behind the pin and pull forward 2 to4mm this will take
the pin out of the cup, and firm the action up considerably. Cheat on the
front rail pins with a small twist.  Then sell the bushing job.  We do a
lot of re bushing because the customer notices a dramatic improvement.  and
we point out that this is only a temporary fix.
Stalls re bushing for a year or so. Handy with limited budgets.

Regards Roger