steam and heat, was RE: amazing, but true

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:26:25 +0200

I've find that steaming the whippen heel does not stay very long,
probably once the fiber have been crushed it is not as stiff, it
helps, but it is a temporary fix. Indeed you should believe that with
a fast steam pass you will not have to regulate the hammer travel, but
you will have to do it - months later so it is not so good in the end.

I only tried that on a few instruments (4 or  5) are others
experimenting the same results ?

I've done that on mortises too, on recent ones this should be a
possibility, but the material stay fragile if it is on old keys.
It can help but it is not a real reconditioning job in my opinion I
will see an old instrument I've done this last year (time for new
bushings this year) .

The felt after some wear is less strong, the trick is probably good
for recent parts only.

For damper felts it may be interesting to clean or rejuvate them.

Another thing we should consider is that many bushing cloths actually
are not wool and cotton, (or wool and silk !) I don't know for sure if
nylon is reacting to the vapor, but one may consider it.

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech