amazing, but true

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:14:24 EDT

I have been led to believe, as I am sure you are too, that damper felts will
harden when they get wet.

I just restrung a 30 year old B, and was going to replace the damper felts. I
took the dampers home and gave them a shower. (I soak them in the shower with
hot water. It loosens the glue so the felts drop off easily).

The next morning I got sidelined, and it wasn't until later in the next I had
time to take the felts off. By this time, however, the glue had hardened
again, and I had to cut the felts off with a knife. I soon realized that I forgot
that I had replaced these dampers about a year and half ago. So they were
virtually brand new. But when I touched the felt, they all seemed very soft. I had
only removed the felt off the last 6 dampers, so I thought, what the hell,
lets try putting them on the piano, and see how they work.

I did, and they are fine. None of them are hard. So my conclusion is that new
felts can get wet, and still work. You learn something new every day.
Amazing, but true.

Wim