amazing, but true

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:51:14 -0500

I recently 'steam-cleaned' a set on a vertical action Wim. The main
objective was to remove the impaction from bass-string windings so they
would seat well on new strings. Worked just fine!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
  Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2003 10:14 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: amazing, but true

  I have been led to believe, as I am sure you are too, that damper felts
will harden when they get wet.

  I just restrung a 30 year old B, and was going to replace the damper
felts. I took the dampers home and gave them a shower. (I soak them in the
shower with hot water. It loosens the glue so the felts drop off easily).

  The next morning I got sidelined, and it wasn't until later in the next I
had time to take the felts off. By this time, however, the glue had hardened
again, and I had to cut the felts off with a knife. I soon realized that I
forgot that I had replaced these dampers about a year and half ago. So they
were virtually brand new. But when I touched the felt, they all seemed very
soft. I had only removed the felt off the last 6 dampers, so I thought, what
the hell, lets try putting them on the piano, and see how they work.

  I did, and they are fine. None of them are hard. So my conclusion is that
new felts can get wet, and still work. You learn something new every day.
Amazing, but true.

  Wim