Baldwin Action Problem

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:20:02 -0600

Ed,

a couple years ago I (or rather my faithful assistant; Jeremy) had some rep.
screw gringing to do.

It was a D, and when I calculated correct bore length for the new mallets
(3mm longer than their predeceasors), I ended up with an action that would
not install.  :>)

i.e.: the hammers when pressed against the rebound cushions would not
squeeze beneath the stretcher.

(BTW, this is one of my favourites, I may have shared it before)

Now wouldn't an expert have seen this one coming!  HMMMMM?

Anyhow, I knew I was being a flagrant scofflaw in violating the original
specs, however precise measurements dicated, confirmed and re-confirmed
correct bore-length, and the former mallets weren't it!

After some thought (even the least technically gifted would agree; an action
belongs "inside" the piano) I peeled a layer or two off the rebound cushions
to get things going.

I was able to regulate out at about 46mm (if I recall) with the bass hammers
ducking gently beneath the stretcher. I ended up peeling the cushions fairly
modestly, as the hammerline on this piano gets fussed over regularily.

Rather than grind the 'tops' off the screws, I had J. remove them, take 3mm
off the "pointy" end (they were x-s-ively long) and regrind the end to a
point. Sorry I don't recall how long this took, but it was well within the
1/2 day anyhow. Some sizing (glue/water) had to be added to the hole, for a
tight like new fit.

I can see your idea of grinding the tops for time-saving Ed though, if there
is enough head there for future adjustment.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University