Baldwin Action Problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:14:13 EST

Ed writes:

<< When dip is set to a standard block (Steinway), there is very excessive
aftertouch.

    Hmm,  a point could be debated that there is no standard Steinway dip,  I
don't think you would want to go less than .375" on this piano.

 >>When I lower the capstans to decrease aftertouch, the shanks knock on the
repetition lever regulating screw.

   Is the hammer rest rail able to be positioned so that the hammers will not
knock? If so, lower it as far as it will go and let us know what the blow
distance is.  I think it should be around 1 7/8", no?

>>The only choice is excessive aftertouch or shallow dip.
   Is the let-off set as closely as possible?

>>Something is wrong with this instrument.  Possibly the string height is
low, and they let it go?<<

   That could easily be the problem.

>>I could shorten the hammer bore distance...or just file down the hammers?

Is there some regulation, shimming or rail adjustment I'm missing? >>

Without knowing what sort of action ratio is involved, it is hard to tell.
Is the relationship between the Whippen rail and hammer rail Ok?
    I think a bit more info would help me offer some usable suggestions.....
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/