Yama-help, s.v.p.!

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:10:16 -0600

I'm guessing most everyone in this group can appreciate the difference
between actually 'fixin sumthin' as opposed to making the symptoms
disappear.

You will then appreciate my 'dilemna of the day.'

I had promised to make the phantom 'clicking' within the low-brass prof's
1960's G-2 'go away,' sometime over the holiday season,

The 'clicking' is not of the loose center-pin or hammerhead type, but rather
like the "rep. spring  caught in a sticky, gunky slot, suddenly-breaks-free"
type. You will get this typically the first time you play a note, after the
piano has sat un-played for awhile. However, once the note has been played
that first time (and clicked), it will likely not click again that day, no
matter how often it is played.

This is why I thought rep.springs,.. sound like I'm on the right track, so
far?

In my mind, it would be as simple as polishing the springs, then cleaning
and re-graphiting the spring slots.

Only one problem, (in words I once heard uttered by a small-town cafeteria
waitress, with singular small-town charm); "IT DON'T GOT NONE!"

No repetition spring slots that is (not sauerkraut, as I had inquired of the
reuben sandwich I was attempting to order), the springs are of the set-screw
adjustment type and the hook is captured by a cloth loop. Schwander style, I
believe (the wippens, not the sandwich).

In any case, I repaired any clicks I could find; hammer-heads, etc., even
two rep. springs where the hook was so long as to strike the base of the
wippen and make a click. Sadly though these were not the 'clicks' I was
after.

Then, as I lowered the shanks to rest after tefloning the knuckles, the
"clicks" started, spontaneously, one here, one there, etc. (actually more
like 'ticks' than 'clicks')

It has to be the rep. springs, doesn't it? But what are they clicking from;

coils overlapping?

how the adjustment screw bears against the spring?

The springs don't seem over-tensioned, and the hammer-flange pinning seems
quite free.

Anyone encountered this before, I welcome your input.

many thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University