Harpsichord hitch pin loops

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:51:33 -0700

    It's possible, but the thinness of the harpsichord wire might make
it problematic. That style machine has you clamp both ends of the wire,
while making the intial twist, then loosen a bit to make the finish
coil. It's quite possible to break the wire while making the twists, if
you don't finesse it quite a bit. Which might mean unclamping in
mid-stream, or feeding extra wire to begin with. It also might not be
easy to clamp such small wire.
    I had good luck with the loop maker I imagine you're talking about,
when restringing a Mason A and a Viennese piano, but that was making
those simpler coiled tails. I tried making a couple bass string style
loops "for fun" and found it troublesome. It's something to practice
ahead of time (save those borken strings for practice).
Fred