job security: let's talk!

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:33:07 -0600

Piano tuning is supposed to be a stress-free job.  Hah!  I have
pin-pointed the source of my stress, and it is doing work for the
college.  Too much work, for too little pay, plus I have to wait for my
money.  I have been seriously considering  dropping the college as a client
but can't quite bring myself to cut the strings.

David,

I hope you "cut the strings" (a pun, I hope), not just yet anyhow, not until
you've given your college the clear opportunity to respect you and your
work.

Please pardon the following lengthy post. Several things have deeply
bothered me this year, not the least of which, the lonely passing of one of
our dear colleagues.

I really should be installing some bass strings right now, but from the
posts I've been reading lately (State budget cuts etc.) there is a
widespread problem, and I must hurl at least one pebble at the giant's
forehead. :>)

So this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but at a big, ugly problem
in general.

10 years ago I was going through a crisis over the manager of a business we
owned. On one hand; I was convinced he was indispensable, on the other; he
was requiring a lot of attention, and the business was not making a profit.

We got away for the weekend with friends, and I took time to read some
booklets on small business. In reading, I found I was operating the business
based on some "noble" but "lethal" misconceptions, regarding my true
responsibilities as an employer. Number one being: my duty to my family, to
their future, to my mental health, etc. to be a making profit, NOT to be the
neighborhood employment agency.

Looking at the posts on our list, I have no doubt of the sincerity and
integrity each one of us brings to our work. We take a great deal of reward
in making our employer's instruments a point of pride to the school, and a
joy to students and staff. (that's the dream, anyhow)

I wonder though, like my dilemna as an employer, if many of "us" are working
under "noble" but "lethal" misconceptions regarding our employers?

Many institutions whether able or not, apparently do NOT return equivalent
loyalty and reward to their technicians. I will not single anyone out, but
must ask "is it entirely THEIR fault?"

My car (a politically in-correct, over-imbibing, lane-hogging SUV) will
consume about $55.00 worth of fuel when the tank is empty. If all I have is
twenty bucks, how much fuel can I buy? And whose responsibility is it to
fill the tank?

IMHO, "responsibility" means insuring that those in charge of
decision-making (spending, etc.) are able to receive and evaluate the full
impact of their decision-making. (BTW, I'm NOT talking about lecturing
administration here, circumstances MUST speak for themselves)

IOW, I can't imagine the gas station offering to "top up" the tank
free-of-charge to make up for my gas budget shortfall, can you? And I don't
think they really wish me to run out of gas, nor feel obliged to come rescue
me due to my lack of planning or budget?

If we continually subsidize insufficient budgets with our labors, (borrowing
so to speak from our children's education, our retirement, next summer's
green fees, etc.) those with the authority to make decisions will NEVER have
full and accurate information to make decisions from.

To sermonize a bit more; my wife and I disagree about waking our teenage son
from oversleep. She wants to sheild him from the consequence of a late-slip
at school, or being fired from work.

I (also)love our son dearly, and mean him no harm, but realize he may need
to "experience" the consequence of (some of) his decisions in order to
develop responsible behavior. I let him sleep.

Take sides as you wish, but we are either the "Mom" or the "Dad" with our
employers. Which one are you?

If 6 pianos are kept in wonderful tune and reliable condition, and 60 are
not, an honest and realistic basis for comparison will be available.

Each of us are personally responsible to establish what our time is worth.
Then, make a courageous oath to choose ONLY work that we are able (and
willing) to redeem for this amount.
(reserving the right to provide charitable work, in a responsible ratio to
our needs for earning)

So let's tell our employers the truth.

"my tuning rate is equivalent to $XX.XX per hour. Some pianos need more,
some need less, some need fixin'. With an aging inventory, it's difficult to
predict needs from month to month. However, I would be glad to provide what
service I can, within the limit of the budget you provide. I can either
follow the priorities you direct, or offer my own."

This is not hardball or salesmanship, (in fact, it will likely never even
make you rich) it is merely being personally responsible for your personal
well-being.

Here are some possible outcomes:

A.) The administrator will suggest they will find someone who will continue
things as they have been.

You must smile, be very polite, and extend your hand in sincere friendship,
for two reasons:

1.) They've just helped you through a decision that was too agonizing to
make on your own.

2.) Now "they" respect "YOU!" When they call you back, YOU are in the
driver's seat!

B.) The administrator will understand your simple and rational offer for
what it is, and based on experience working with you; they will accept.

Please understand that both (and there are numerous) hypothetical outcomes
will be the source of GREAT RELIEF FROM COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE STRESS AND
ANXIETY.  :>)

Yes a "direct" approach to a problem can be scary, but once taken, changes a
"mind-set." People who take a self-directed approach to their future get to
pick and choose who they will work for and whom they will not, as well as
what they will work on.

Here is another thought:

At our school, several courses are taught towards careers in Arts
Administration. Ensuring artists receive proper benefits, rewards, exposure,
etc. is the heart of the program. If you are involved in a school where the
student's potential future is "so valued," the understanding exists to value
your contributions as well.

I hate to see how our trade is thinning out. There is so much potential for
satisfaction in this work.

But perhaps some "thinning-out" needs to occur.

Perhaps some will take stock and realize they are not making a living, and
they will move on to a career where they can. And what's wrong about that?

Perhaps others will realize they are not making a living, and take steps to
change that, and will have the rare luxury of making a living at work they
truly enjoy.

I met two very fine young technicians at the Banff Centre for the Arts last
summer. They had both graduated from the new technician's program at Western
University, in London, Ontario. They were both very well trained, and eager,
and they claimed the course and related expenses set them back $20,000.00
each!! (12K tuition / 8k living exp.)

While some of us are still wondering what to charge, these two ALREADY know!
And they WILL find work at their desired hourly rate, and they WILL build
succesful businesses, and they WON'T likely work in institutions that won't
pay them adequately to address their student loans. (they CAN'T afford to)

Most imporantly, institutions not willing to pay for such eager,
well-trained technicians, WON'T get to hire these eager, well-trained
technicians.

At this point, I realize I have spent about $90.00 of billable time writing
this lengthy post. I don't regret it one bit, unless I have offended
someone, or come off as "know-it-all." I just want to spark some dialogue,..
actually no, I want to spark some change!

I work for several responsive and encouraging institutions, and though there
are no guarantees, I hope it continues this way for as long as I need to
work.

It's not the same for everyone, I understand that.

Nonetheless, I am sincerely available by phone or for a visit, to share
encouragement or chew on a problem, (or be corrected) if that would ever be
of help. I will make time.

We're piano-tuners for "Pete's sake" (is that your real job or a hobby?),
no-one else ever  understands what the heck we're talking about anyhow!  :>)

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University