pitch raise

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:36:43 -0600

Hi Bob,

I can sympathize with you.  I really have no answers but would also like to
hear what other technicians have to say.  I have been tuning all pianos at
A-438 this semester, and left the pitch at A-442 last fall.  It seems to
help with the drastic pitch changes a bit.  But when some of the practice
room pianos have been 40-50 cents flat, it is still a large pitch-raise to
tune them at A-438.

One answer is Dampp-Chaser systems.  But, it doesn't help one bit if the
system is not plugged in and if the humidifier is constantly bone dry.  The
custodial staff is supposed to be keeping the systems filled with water,
but I have yet to see anyone other than myself (and the piano professor)
add water.  I don't get paid enough to tune the pianos as it is, and there
is no budget for repairs or any type of maintenance other than tuning.  I
have no job description, my reports about damage to the pianos have been
ignored and about 1/3 of the pianos have tuning pin torque in the range of
10 inch-pounds right now.

I also charge for pitch corrections with my private clients, but have been
eating the cost of doing pitch raises at the college for 5 or 6
years.  Piano tuning is supposed to be a stress-free job.  Hah!  I have
pin-pointed the source of my stress, and it is doing work for the
college.  Too much work, for too little pay, plus I have to wait for my
money.  I have been seriously considering  dropping the college as a client
but can't quite bring myself to cut the strings.

I will write to the list also but I really don't have an answer for you.

Best wishes,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO