pitch raise

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:03:11 -0600

Hi Bob,

I am in the same boat.  I charge for pitch corrections with my private
clients, but don't at the college.  A 16 cent change of pitch is a pretty
big change, but I see that all the time at the college here.

Here are some simplistic answers for you, but they won't do any good unless
the college agrees with you and makes these things happen (or authorizes
you and pays you to do these things).

1.  Complete Dampp-Chaser systems on all pianos.  They must be the systems
with the Smart Heater Bar.  Back covers work great also.  The humidifier
pads should be changed 3 times during the winter.  The systems must be
plugged in all the time, and the humdifiers kept full of water all the
time.  Use of humidifier treatment helps keep the moisture pads free of
chemical and mineral build-up.

If the system does not have a Smart Heater Bar and the humdiifier is
allowed to go dry, the humidifier bar acts as a dehumidifier and actually
lowers humidity further.  If the humdifiers aren't going to be kept full of
water and the system does not have a Smart Heater Bar, you will be better
off unplugging the humidifier from the humidistat and only using the
dehumidifier portion.

2.  The pianos need more frequent tuning.  4 to 6 tunings per year would be
better for practice rooms.  For class rooms, 4 to 6 tunings per year would
be better.  For teacher's studios, tuning 8 to 12 times per year would be
excellent.  For the concert pianos, tuning at least every month is minimal,
it would be better if they were tuned each time they were used.

However, unless the administration is convinced of the need for more
tunings, and is willing to fund the budget to make it happen, it won't
happen and the frustration will continue.

I would like to hear what other technicians have to say on this matter,
because it interests me greatly.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO USA