pitch raise

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:48:51 -0500

Hi Caroline,
     I include pitch raise as part of my basic fee since about 95% pianos require it in my part of the world.  I don't care if the pitch raise is a little or a lot as long as it isn't more than about a semitone and as long as the pianos strings are in good condition.
     IMHO a pitch raised piano can be just as stable as a very close one and not need a second tuning.    I think of pitch raising like "tuning pin setting" except in this case I'm "setting the piano". to counter any tendency for board, beams, plate etc. to settle.   I go well above pitch judiciously which makes the second pass wish to go slightly sharp which is good and will counteract any tendency to flatten.   I don't believe in leaving a piano at any other pitch than 440 for universities.
-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University School of Music