pitch raise

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 08:47:04 -0800

Just a quick follow-up here.  I do a lot of  pitch raise/lowerings as well.
It goes with the job in a full-time university setting.  In the real world I
charge a bit more for that service, particularly if the piano has been
neglected for a long time -- call it penalty points, if you will.  It
probably works out about the same as the method Mark uses.  Mark's method
may be a good approach to take in your situation, but discuss it with the
powers-that-be so everybody is on the same page.  My basic point is that
nobody likes surprises, especially of a $$ nature when you're an admin type
in the current fiscal climate.  However, they do need to know from you that
there are situations that require some flexibility, so educate/recruit your
faculty.

I agree with Mike that a good pitch raise should be quite stable.  If your
first pass is calculated right (aural or whatever method you use), then your
fine tuning should be just what its name implies, & should hold for a
reasonable length of time.  The vagaries of weather & associated ills will
play hob with any tuning, no matter how stable, or what pitch it's at.  Not
making any assumptions here, but just a general observation, IMHO good aural
skills and solid tuning technique are the foundation of a good stable
tuning, no matter what other gizmos we use for aides (& I use them too).

By the way, -16 cents is not a huge jump.  Just ask Mike or Mark about the
swings they get.  Out here we are on the dry side of the spectrum, but I
suspect the stability is similar to your area (in "normal" weather
patterns).

Otto