'D' buzz

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:11:28 -0600

List,

I have a pretty bad buzz, primarily when F#2 is played firmly (it doesn't
have to be pounded), on a 5-6 yr. old D in our large concert hall. It's
also occasionally there on 2-3 other notes in that same area and I've
pretty much isolated the sound at the tail end of the piano. It's a buzz
like a large paper clip or coin, etc. on the board might create; "maybe"
a loose glue joint type of buzz but the other seems more likely. I've also
checked the hinge pins.

I've tightened everything I can and even taken a telescoping magnet thing
I have and run it around under the plate in that area and still no luck.
I'm also thinking about getting an air-compressor in there and seeing if
I can blow anything out. I've pressed on the board around the rim in that
area and also from underneath but nothing seems to stop it.

Short of tilting the piano on its side and seeing if anything will fall
out, I can't think of anything else to do. It is not a bass string winding
type of buzz.

Can anyone suggest anything I've overlooked? I'm getting desperate enough
to call one of the Steinway dealer's techs out here! :-) Thanks.

Avery