pitch raise

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 07:13:09 -0800

Bob,

Not to open a can of worms on this list again, but the weather you have =
recently had has been unusual for your neck of the woods.  Which is to =
say that it will probably revert to normal soon.  If you measure the =
average pitch across the piano, you will probably find it is much closer =
than -16 cents.  Particularly in the practice rooms, and under the =
abnormal conditions you've been experiencing, I'd let the pitch float =
just a bit.  Otherwise, 2-4 weeks down the road when "normal" =
temp/humidity levels return, you'll be in the same boat on the other =
side of the scale.  Everybody will be howling for tunings, no budget =
will be left, the admin. will not be happy, & you may end up being the =
fall guy.  Studio & concert instruments are another story.  I'd talk to =
the dean, piano faculty, whoever seems to be most level-headed of the =
powers that be, explain the situation & make them part of the decision.  =
If they own the decision, they'll be much more likely to live with it in =
contentment, or at least not take it out on you.

Otto Keyes
piano tech - U of Idaho

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Caroline Hull=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 10:44 PM
  Subject: pitch raise

  At the university where I provide service for fee work, I have just =
started my round of tunings for the upcoming second semester.  I am =
finding the pitch has dropped an unusual amount since the last tuning.  =
For all but the recital hall pianos, the school asks me to tune once at =
the beginning of the first semester and again at the beginning of the =
second.   The pitch on many of them so far has been close to -16 cents.  =
(I think the real cold weather we had recently may be the culprit, with =
heating units running more and drying things out more.)

  Of course this requires at least two full passes and will need a =
follow up tuning (which may not be in the budget and therefore may not =
happen).  I always do two passes anyway even for just a few cents pitch =
change but this seems more extreme.   How do other service for fee techs =
handle the charges on pitch raise situations like this.  For my private =
customers I charge an extra amount for pitch raises of this nature.=20

  Bob Hull, RPT

  Technician for Union University

  Jackson, TN=20