pitch raise

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:38:07 -0600

I agree w/you Otto.  I got calls 3 weeks ago from frantic people (when it
was VERY cold, RH %30's) and now it has warmed up a bit (RH 50%) and the
pianos are only 2-4 cents flat and the customers say it improved a lot over
the 3 weeks.  I have several customers with Dampp-Chaser dehumidifiers (w/o
the humidifiers) and the pianos only go way out if it gets very cold/dry(way
below 42%), which is rare here.  I have been tuning pianos about 4 cts flat
here if already flat because of our high RH most of the year.  I think the
consensus has been to hover them around 440 anticipating the swing.  16cts
flat is a lot, though, so either way, the piano will probably be out in the
spring.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
985.72P.IANO

  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Otto
Keyes
  Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 9:13 AM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: pitch raise

  Bob,

  Not to open a can of worms on this list again, but the weather you have
recently had has been unusual for your neck of the woods.  Which is to say
that it will probably revert to normal soon.  If you measure the average
pitch across the piano, you will probably find it is much closer than -16
cents.  Particularly in the practice rooms, and under the abnormal
conditions you've been experiencing, I'd let the pitch float just a bit.
Otherwise, 2-4 weeks down the road when "normal" temp/humidity levels
return, you'll be in the same boat on the other side of the scale.
Everybody will be howling for tunings, no budget will be left, the admin.
will not be happy, & you may end up being the fall guy.  Studio & concert
instruments are another story.  I'd talk to the dean, piano faculty, whoever
seems to be most level-headed of the powers that be, explain the situation &
make them part of the decision.  If they own the decision, they'll be much
more likely to live with it in contentment, or at least not take it out on
you.

  Otto Keyes
  piano tech - U of Idaho