pitch raise

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:06:15 -0600

Hi Bob,

I am a contract by-the-hour technician, so it keeps things simple.

"The pianos were a little worse today, so they took more time than usual, so
it will cost a little more today."

Or:

"The pianos were quite good today, so they took less time, so I was able to
get around to more of them."

As mentioned several weeks ago, I now use "by-the-hour" for in-home service.
My tuning appointments are a 1.5 hour minimum charge. Over that time, I bill
to the next .5 hour.

Everyone seems to understands this, and both my clients and myself
appreciate when I don't go into lengthy technical explanations

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Caroline Hull
  Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:44 AM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: pitch raise

  At the university where I provide service for fee work, I have just
started my round of tunings for the upcoming second semester.  I am finding
the pitch has dropped an unusual amount since the last tuning.  For all but
the recital hall pianos, the school asks me to tune once at the beginning of
the first semester and again at the beginning of the second.   The pitch on
many of them so far has been close to -16 cents.  (I think the real cold
weather we had recently may be the culprit, with heating units running more
and drying things out more.)

  Of course this requires at least two full passes and will need a follow up
tuning (which may not be in the budget and therefore may not happen).  I
always do two passes anyway even for just a few cents pitch change but this
seems more extreme.   How do other service for fee techs handle the charges
on pitch raise situations like this.  For my private customers I charge an
extra amount for pitch raises of this nature.

  Bob Hull, RPT

  Technician for Union University

  Jackson, TN