Treble resonator (Bob Grihalva, designer)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 20:58:57 EST

.
Isaac writes
.I have yet a few questions about the

> geometry of down bearing , possibly when the rear slant is pronounced,
> and that the apparent bearing as seen with a thread is very high (8 or
> 10 mm for instance).
> Stephen tells me it does not show the real pressure, as much of it is
> "absorbed" by the slant in the bridge (between the pins).

....>>>It can be difficult to tell but I find working with the Lowell bubble
down bearing gauge can give what I believe is a good indication of the
bearing.

> I am still not sure to be clear on that.
>
> in that case, the real pressure may be showed by the rear bearing plus
> the front bearing, and the eventual 1 or 2 mm slant on the bridge is
> not to be considered in the computation (with the thread simple method
> as used by most of rebuilders there).
>
> About the rib crowned soundboard, my idea was that they need a large
> bearing in fact because this is installing internal tension on a panel
> that is more neutral to begin with.

 >>>Yes but remember even a soundboard panel dried to 6% E.M.C. is still very
dry and there is internal tension as it climbs to 12% or more . Also the
addition of downbearing also creates tension but the total internal
conpression it's not as severe or consequently destructive to the wood fibers
As  a purely Compression crowned board. So the bearing I apply although
generous has its limits. It's a delicate & meticulous procedure.

> If a CC crowned design where retained, adding pressure on it lessen
> the internal tension, or leave it alone may be (because it goes the
> same direction that the ribs trying to be flat (?????)

  >. Again push on it. Check the panel thickness. Is it thin..300/ 7.5mm
uniformly or is it thicker .340 / 9mm   or more. What dimesions are the ribs?
All these thing have a consideration
   Best--Dale Erwin