pitch raise

Caroline Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:44:01 -0800 (PST)

At the university where I provide service for fee work, I have just started my round of tunings for the upcoming second semester.  I am finding the pitch has dropped an unusual amount since the last tuning.  For all but the recital hall pianos, the school asks me to tune once at the beginning of the first semester and again at the beginning of the second.   The pitch on many of them so far has been close to -16 cents.  (I think the real cold weather we had recently may be the culprit, with heating units running more and drying things out more.)

Of course this requires at least two full passes and will need a follow up tuning (which may not be in the budget and therefore may not happen).  I always do two passes anyway even for just a few cents pitch change but this seems more extreme.   How do other service for fee techs handle the charges on pitch raise situations like this.  For my private customers I charge an extra amount for pitch raises of this nature.

Bob Hull, RPT

Technician for Union University

Jackson, TN