shell-shock

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:04:58 -0800

Susan & all,

My theory (& that's all it is) is that the hardener, at the proper =
dilution, will cling to the fibers, leaving some space in between.  Do I =
have any microscopic pictures of a disembowelled hammer to show =
emperical evidence that this is actually happening?  No, this is the =
authority of ignorance speaking, but it seems logical to me, since there =
seems to good penetration on subsequent doping of the hammers, along =
with noticeable improvement in the tone.  It would be interesting to =
look at bits of hammer felt which had been doped with different =
substances & dilutions.  The colored shellac on your old hammers (get a =
reasonable shape on them first) might be an interesting study, =
particularly if you started with a lighter shellac & went to a darker =
one with each application, tried different dilutions, application =
methods, etc.; try them on an action to see how they sound (easier if =
you have some already on shanks), then cut them apart when you were done =
to see how the penetration looks.  My guess is that there would be an =
arch across the width of the hammer as well, corresponding to the =
distance to edge of the hammer/density, wicking action of the cut/uncut =
felt, etc.  Boy, is it easy to design experiments if you don't plan to =
do the work!   Have at it, Susan!   ;-)  Actually, it could be very =
useful information.  Maybe somebody has already done this.  Anybody know =
if anyone has gone this route before?  No need to re-invent the wheel.

I'm not sure that one hardener is inherently better than another, but =
part of the reason that I like the keytop solution is the color (or lack =
thereof).  Then I can tell whether or not a mouse has gotten in the =
piano & done a number on the hammers.  :-)

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----=20