shell-shock

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:53:08 -0800

At 04:04 PM 2/3/2003 -0800, Otto wrote:
>The colored shellac on your old hammers (get a reasonable shape on them
>first) might be an interesting study, particularly if you started with a
>lighter shellac & went to a darker one with each application, tried
>different dilutions, application methods, etc.; try them on an action to
>see how they sound (easier if you have some already on shanks),

Hi, Otto.

I have some old Steinway A hammers still on (verdigrised) flanges and
shanks, which were only lightly played in a private home. If I repin some
of them, they might do the trick. I can try them on the same Steinway (so
they should fit), now at an Arts Center I work at, and compare the results
with the replacements (Abels, soaked with a very dilute solution of keytop
and acetone.) I don't think that the old hammers were at all heavily doped
to begin with. 1941 -- I assume that Steinway was probably doping with
lacquer at that point. I could try a few of the old hammers with no further
juice, just repinned, to see what I was starting with, so I could judge the
changes better.

Yes, I think that using different colors and dilutions and trying
successive layers might be interesting. Also, one could try keytop in
acetone and lacquer in lacquer thinner in layers on more of the same set of
hammers, and see what happened.

It would be fun -- don't hold your breath over how soon I can get around to
it. But the box of hammers and shanks can sit there waiting for me. Maybe
for once excessive stinginess may prove to be a practical advantage.

Susan