Fwd: Bearing difference on different soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:54:23 EST

--part1_94.33a7daa7.2b6f4fff_alt_boundary
In a message dated 2/2/2003 8:37:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:

> Subj: Re: Bearing difference on different soundboards
>  Date: 2/2/2003 8:37:36 PM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:Erwinspiano">Erwinspiano</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:oleg-i@wanadoo.fr">oleg-i@wanadoo.fr</A>
>

> In a message dated 2/2/2003 3:50:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> oleg-i@wanadoo.fr writes:
>
> >> Subj: RE: Bearing difference on different soundboards
>> Date: 2/2/2003 3:50:34 PM Pacific Standard Time
>> From: <A HREF="mailto:oleg-i@wanadoo.fr">oleg-i@wanadoo.fr</A>
>> To: <A HREF="mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com">Erwinspiano@aol.com</A>
>> Sent from the Internet
>>

>> I understand that if we see, for instance 1/4 inch crown from below the
>> board, that does not really mean that having 1/4 distance bearing at the
>> string rest will absorb the whole crown, it depends of the back string
>> length vs. the speaking length.

>>> to flat under the situation you describe, if the board is really weak.
>>> With the strings off try pushing down on a board with your hands and
>>> watch how much it moves so that you can get a feel for how stiff it will
>>> be. If it has some strength  it will have resistence that  will not
>>> permit the 1/4 inch distance bearing to push it flat.
>>> .
>>> Dale, I mean :
>>>
>>> If you have  1/4' crown , and you have 1/4" height difference at the rear
>>> string rest, even if the string became straight under tension, (defluxion
>>> absorbed) the board will not deflect 1/4", but less, because the 1/4"
>>> 'leverage' is divided by the string's length, anyway that was my idea and
>>> that make sense.
>>

>  >>If the string actually became straight the board would be flat  but if
> the board has resistence it won't allow the string to become completly
> flat. Does that make sense. The problem is old CC boards most often do not
> have much resistence or crown.

>>> compute a maximum amount of down bearing , or distance bearing, in regard
>>> of the existing crown (taken rib by rib) and still having some security
>>> in regard of the possible collapse of the board.
>>

> >>  Once again No it doesn't work exactly.  His method takes the rear
> string length and multiplies by .026.  For example 4 inches times .026
> equals .104  distance bearing. This gives a 1 &1/2 degree angle of
> deflection on a 60ft crowned board. And These figures only work on a new
> fully crowned board.
>     Now here is the part I'm having trouble making clear to you. First I've
> done it his way and it doesn't work. He himself has modified his procedure
> but hasn't revised the article. What will happen if you do it as Nick has
> written is that as  the tenor is strung first the board is compressing so
> that when you reach the beginning of the first capo section the nice
> distance bearing you thought you had calculated is disappeared as the
> sounbboard sunk under load . You can check it with a bearing string. So pre
> stressing compensates for this. Read the article I suggested you'll be
> [...]

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--part1_94.33a7daa7.2b6f4fff_alt_boundary--

An embedded message was scrubbed...