Maene Fortepiano (was Re: Speaking of Harpsichords)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:20:40 -0600

Margaret & List,

I was informed yesterday that our Maene Fortepiano has arrived at the airport.
I guess I'd better order the Fortepiano version of your book soon. :-) It'll
probably be delivered within a day or so, after the customs stuff & etc.

Would anyone happen to know if a book of any kind comes with this particular
brand? Thanks.

Avery

At 07:03 PM 12/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>At this point I'll put in a plug for my Harpsichord Repair Guide.  This
>transposer problem is common - Look out for what pin you're on since the
>shift (and some shift a half tone up and down both) will make nonsense of
>the 'keyboard' layout of the tuning pins which most hpschds have.  Also
>watch out for pitch.  Often I go to service  university instruments which
>have been transposed down to low pitch and then tuned to 440 at that
>position - resulting often in broken strings, and surely case stress which
>can wreck the instrument.  A lot of tuners and students don't think about
>checking the position before recklessly 'pulling up to pitch'.
>      Best, Margaret
>      www.fortepiano.pair.com

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music