Speaking of Harpsichords

C. E. Hood hood@uwplatt.edu
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:03:52 -0600

At this point I'll put in a plug for my Harpsichord Repair Guide.  This transposer problem is common - Look out for what pin you're on since the shift (and some shift a half tone up and down both) will make nonsense of the 'keyboard' layout of the tuning pins which most hpschds have.  Also watch out for pitch.  Often I go to service  university instruments which have been transposed down to low pitch and then tuned to 440 at that position - resulting often in broken strings, and surely case stress which can wreck the instrument.  A lot of tuners and students don't think about checking the position before recklessly 'pulling up to pitch'.
     Best, Margaret
     www.fortepiano.pair.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith McGavern <kam544@gbronline.com>
To: caut@ptg.org
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 11:37:11 -0600
Subject: Speaking of Harpsichords

Hello group,

I just tuned a 3 choir, 2 manual harpsichord that also has a keyboard
that can be manually shifted from left to right and vice versa, a
transposing feature I guess. Yes/No?

Anyhow, before I knew this shifting feature existed and that it was
already in its shifted mode, I was quite perplexed to figure out why
none of the notes I played did not line up with the tuning pins I
wanted to tune.

The tuning would have been a disaster if I hadn't found out in time.

For those unaware as I was, hopefully this little email will be of
some help to you in the future. For those of you who already know, I
see you smiling.

Best,

Keith McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Baptist University