Viennese action

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:24:48 -0500

Ed asked:

>Is it reasonable to expect to re-use the shanks, which are working
>very well?

Yes.

>Shall I remove them from the kapsels to remove the hammerheads, then
>replace them for hanging the new hammers, or make a separate jig for holding
>them while hanging the hammers?

Yes. You can remove hammer shanks at the axle easily with a modified engine
valve tool...the sort that has tiny jaws that open outwards when you
squeeze the handle. File them off flat. insert in the kapsel and open the
jaws to remove the axle/shank. Modern kapsels (e.g. Laukhuff, Zucky etc.)
are always made of half-hard brass, which is wrong - too stiff and not enuf
spring to it, so you can't squeeze them enuf to get the right sort of grip
on the dimples. Historical kapsels were made with lead-free brass, soft,
but enuf to hold the axle, and springy enuf to grip it without a fight on
your hands. Paul Poletti makes historical kapsels on a small-scale.

>For a small 1870's piano, what is the likelihood that leather
>covered hammers were original?  Or more likely a repair to extend the life
>of worn hammers?

Sometime mid-century Viennese and German piano builders began to use felt
covered hammers, but many retained a top layer of hammer leather till into
the 20th century. You can usually tell by the quality of the leather if it
is original. Unfortunately, there is no modern leather that is anything
like historical hammer leather....at least not yet. That's another on-going
research project, which is giving some promising results. As for the wire
project, I'll report back when something practical becomes available.

>Are Renner Viennese hammers the only choice?

Don't know them. Do you mean hammer heads, or hammer shanks, or both? Since
there is so much variatino i the geometry I would not expect any generic
supply to be successful. They aren't difficult to make replacements.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228