Steinway Fallboard Hinge Noise

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:39:04 -0600

John,

At 13:20 11/26/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>PS. Does anyone know why they made the hinged fallboard in the first
>place? When did this start? I know our older S&S's don't have them. I'm
>guessing more efficient manufacturing method.

I, too, have slightly bent the hinge pins to stop that bzzzt.

My guess for the flap is to avoid the "Baldwin grin" (especially on the old
SD6) when it is closed and still get out of the way of the flying fingers.

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT

Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems