Steinway Fallboard Hinge Noise

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:58:59 EST

>> I've had noises coming from fallboard (KEYLID, according to S&S
>> nomenclature) hinges on Steinway B's and D's off and on for a number
>of
>> years and would like to hear any time-tested remedies or suggestions.
>On
>> one instrument I've simply resorted to completely removing the hinge

Greetings,
    Sometimes the hinges themselves rattle,  I hit them with a punch to
tighten, or I have also dropped in three or four drops of CA to fill up micro
gaps.  Seems to keep things quiet for several months, at least.
Sometimes the small board itself is resonating with some of the notes,
(especially after a fresh voicing), and in those cases, bending one or two of
the hinges themselves will stiffen things up with some flex.  When that
hasn't worked, (humidity, moon phase, karma, who knows?),  I have pulled a
black rubber wedge down between the flap and the fallboard, cut it so it
wasn't really visible, and put a small piece of black gaffer's tape over the
end.  This usually works until somebody takes it all off and wonders what was
it doing there.
Regards,
ED Foote