Steinway Fallboard Hinge Noise

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:58:19 -0700

    I push the hinge pin out of the offending hinge (all of them to be sure),
put a little bend in the pin with damper wire bending pliers (just a tiny bend
in the middle), dab on some linseed oil and re-insert the pin. That seems the
most reliable in the long term. (The linseed gums up, forming a permanent noise
reduction layer). Those hinges produce maddeningly inconsistent noises over the
years - here today, gone tomorrow. It's well worth the time to fix for good.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

Oh, the PS. So that lip is out of the way, giving a wider range of movement to
the pianist. For the more virtuosic technique where arms and hands are flailing
around. Speaking as a pianist, I appreciate the design.