Fortepiano Wire (was Re: Brass wire)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:49:29 -0500

Avery wrote:
>I have no experience at all with a fortepiano (yet) so don't even know
>what kind of wire is used on them. So I guess I'd better save all this
>information and links for future use. 'Ya think? :-)

Avery,
We have two reproductions.  This one is a Mozart style (Krueger? I think?)
and has a mixture of iron and brass or phosphor bronze.

The other is a Margaret Hood reproduction of a Shubert style instrument and
has what looks to be a mixture of wound and steel strings best I can
remember.

I'm terrible.  I really don't pay them that much attention, I guess because
I've got so many other things more pressing, and our historical keyboard
faculty member is more familiar with the harpsichords and fortepianos than
I am anyway, and he tends to them more than I do.

He and I discussed using a historical temperament for this recital.  But
the more we looked into it, the more it seemed like what the composers were
looking for was closer to equal, so that's what we wound up going with.

I'm beginning to think that the HTs created more of a boundary for
creativity rather than the inspiration for it.  We've tried a couple and
the performers didn't like them at all.

Jeff