Fortepiano Wire (was Re: Brass wire)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:11:56 -0500

Jeff wrote:

>The other is a Margaret Hood reproduction of a Shubert style instrument and
>has what looks to be a mixture of wound and steel strings best I can
>remember.

If you mean one of Margaret's 6 1/2 octave Streicher reproductions, if it
has any wound strings they almost certainly weren't put on it by her. She
would have supplied it with the bottom notes strung in brass as were the
original Streichers of this period. Might be a good idea to check into it -
give her a call, or email to get a proper stringing schedule, and retrofit
it back to what it is supposed to be. You'll be happier with it.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228