maintenance figures

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:11:13 EST

> For purposes of securing a recurring gift donation, I'm seeking estimated
> >figures of maintenance for the life of a new Steinway D, B L and upright.
> >realize that the age of the piano will be among factors that dictate
> >necessary work and that annual costs will vary. However, an annual,
> >5-year,10-year or longer estimate would be most helpful.

Mike suggested my formula might be of interest in this situation.

This is basically how my formula works.
For each instrument, over a one year period of time, multiply the number of
times it needs to be tuned by a setting, based on the following data.

2.5 = Piano needs to be kept at top performance level, tuned, voiced,
regulated at every tuning.
2 = piano needs to be kept at acceptable music level, tuned and voiced on a
regular basis
1.5 = piano needs to be kept in adequate musical level, tuning allowed to
deteriorate before tuning, regulation
1 = piano doesn't need additional work

Example.  A Steinway D in a concert hall, that gets tuned 3 times per week,
for 48 weeks, would have a figure of 3 times 48 times 2.5, or 360. Do this
for each instrument. Then divide the number of instruments by the number of
weeks in the "season," or one year. This gives you how much time is needed,
per week, for a technician to maintain those instruments. If you know how
much the technician makes per service call, or per hour, you can predict how
much the maintenance for the pianos will be over the next 10 years, or
longer. (don't forget inflation).

Over the life of the piano, (about 50 years), you will need to add several
sets of hammers, shanks and flanges, maybe new wippens, and perhaps a new set
of strings and dampers, for the instruments that get used the most. Or you
can add to the weekly figure the following formula:

50 = piano needs to be completely rebuilt
25 = piano needs action overhaul
10 = piano needs complete regulation

But if these are going to be new instruments, these figures won't come into
play until 3 -5 years from now on the heavily used instruments, and maybe
never on the seldom used instruments.

I hope this helps.

Wim