fingerprints

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:40:17 -0600

Hey folks,
We have some 7' Steinway grands that have over 30 years of fingerprints on them.  We also have a Baldwin SD-10 about the same age.   We are beginning a program to rebuild them but that will take five or 6 years.  They are traditional black and I would like to clean them up some.  Just dusting won't do it.  I'm not sure I'm ready to use the steel wool on them.  Any ideas on how to clean them up?

By the way, I am cleaning the soundboards and harp and am beginning to file hammers and regulate (some of them really need it-the 3 concert instruments have been kept up, but the others have not).  Thanks for your suggestions.

Elwood Doss, Jr.
University of Tennessee at Martin