Hateful little F DAMPER

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:38:21 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jorgensen, Michael L" <jorge1ml@cmich.edu>
To: "College and University Technicians" <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: November 06, 2002 12:10 PM
Subject: RE: Hateful little F DAMPER

> Thank you again to all for helping me overcome some more of my
damperphobia and adding some tricks to my arsenal.  I am still interested in
any damper tricks.
> -Mike

The real answer lies in understanding how and why dampers work. I.e., their
theory of operation. Then you will have a basis of knowledge you can apply
to each individual situation. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. It is the tool
you need when someone else's damper trick doesn't work. Knowledge is what
you need to come up with both underlying problem as well as a potential
solution in situations like this. And for at least a beginning may I humbly
suggest going back and reading my article on damper theory in the Journal
(see "The Designer's Notebook, Dampers-Why Are They So Darn Much Trouble?
December, 1995). In that article you will find an explanation of why adding
a small amount of lead worked in this case and why it might not work in some
other situation. You will also find out why, in some sections of the scale,
springs are desirable--often necessary--and why, in other sections, they are
not.

Regards,

Del