Hateful little F DAMPER

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:10:14 -0500

Thank you to each of you who gave me the many wise tips and tricks for dampers,
       The offending harmonic is gone!!!. I checked and rechecked everything mentioned.   The solution was from Mary and Andrew.  I tried simulating the affect of added weight and found that even very little stops the problem and that the weight had to be on the front side.   Mary said something about preferring to extend felt toward the front of the damper as opposed to behind and bending it to favor the front.   This seemed counter intuitive for that short unbalanced damper. A very slight bend corrected the problem without changing any felt.
    The damper guide hole is also almost directly under the right string which has made it especially challenging.  Vince suggested "moving the hole".  All other holes in the rail are nicely aligned, the problem is that F is very close to F# as a unison.  Probably half the usual space between them.   What is the best way to "move" that hole??
     In this case I couldn't make any improvements on string leveling and the bushing is good.  Detuning the unisons is one I'll add to my bag of tricks if I'm ever in trouble but that didn't solve this one.   I wonder if a drop of thick CA glue placed to form a bridge between where the wire parallels the head on an off set damper would help stabilize it and improve this inherently weak structure?  There are no damper springs.

Thank you again to all for helping me overcome some more of my damperphobia and adding some tricks to my arsenal.  I am still interested in any damper tricks.
-Mike