Hamburg/ New York

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:51:52 -0600

Hello-

Our department is considering the purchase of a new concert instrument and
in process of deciding different directions to go.  Right now there is
discussion about choosing between New York or Hamburg and they asked me for
imput from other schools which happen to own a Hamburg Steinway for concert
use.  I could go either way, but the variety might be worth a little more
expense. In short, is that the impression over time?  I presume they do
just as well here but some people seem concerned about that too.  The hall
is climate controlled anyway.   How much difference is there really between
a Hamburg C and D?  Not very specific questions, but I know they will
appreciate any comments.

thanks,

Dennis Johnson