form

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 08:05:14 -0600

A few months ago I asked for ideas that I might incorporate into an
evaluation form that could be used by teachers and pianists to evaluate
pianos.  My goal was to get information from piano players related to
what they hear and feel.  My hope was the form would objectify and
quantify an evaluation process that is too often biased and subjective.
I don't know if the form that follows does what it was designed to do;
I've only received a few responses so far.

A few people on this list have asked for a copy of the form I came up
with, so here it is.  Feel free to comment.  Feel free to use it, if it
suits your purposes.  Thanks to Ed Foote for his ideas.

Richard West

Piano Evaluation of the Mason & Hamlin BB on Loan from the Mason &
Hamlin Co.

How would you rate the Mason & Hamlin on the following:
(1 is poor/strongly disagree; 10 is superior/strongly agree)

__________treble tone quality

__________bass tone quality

__________evenness of tone

__________ability to control tone “color”

__________ability to control dynamics

__________repetition

__________control of soft playing

__________touch (1 = too light; 10 = too heavy)

__________Suitability for a wide range of piano repertoire

__________Suitability as an accompanyment instrument.

__________Suitability as a concerto instrument.

__________I don’t feel the piano inhibits my abilities in any way.

__________I would like to own this piano.

Comments:  (If you gave low/high scores to any of the above, explain.
If there were problems, explain.  What were the strengths and weaknesses
of this piano?  Was there anything memorable, both positive and
negative, about this piano?  Were there any surprises?)