Which Partial ?

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 05:08:44 +0100

Jon,

Are you using the Beta release 11 xxx ?
I don't understand the stretch you tell about , in the extreme basses,
the EDT don't read the fundamental (1st partial) anyway, what you see
on the screen is the note 2 octaves above (if I remember well). I find
generally I could add a little stretch on the basses on a D, but not
to the 4 last notes that are generally well on pitch with the VT. The
tunings are far from wild with this machine, so I suspect a
computation problem, may be due to the beta release ? Beside, 4 cts
does not mean much at this level (even at A2 level it is  1/4 beat/sec
env)

I always use my ears in the extreme bass, (after having tuned with the
VT) with some major/minor test . to go fast I check with a major then
a minor inversion. If the major sound cleaner the bass can be lower,
if the minor sound cleaner, the stretch is may be too far.
Idem with the pedal engaged. Ghosting produce very different results
because the tone is produced differently , the spectra differs

Your test can't be related to an "octave type" particularly, it
involves an inversion of the major triad, but follow the partial
serial of the lower note (I mean all the notes you play are at the
level of components of the lowest one) so you test your bass to have
no dissonance with the highest notes, while the actual partial series
of the lower may well differ in pitch from the right hand notes,
tempered.

A very nice method me think.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG