Fwd: Harpsichord Wire

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 05:49:21 -0600

>>From: "Stephen Snyder" <shsnyder@sover.net>
>>To: <caut@ptg.org>
>>Subject: Harpsichord Wire
>>Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:36:24 -0500
>>
>>Dear Friends,
>>
>>I service a harpsichord built by Eric Herz in 1969.  2 manuals, 2- 8ft,
>>1- 16ft and 1 - 4ft.  Several strings have broken in the lowest octave in
>>both the 8 ft and 4 ft registers.  The wire is not steel - some looks
>>like brass and some looks like copper.
>>  3 questions - 1. Does any one have experience with this type of
>> instrument?  2.  What exactly is this wire made of? and
>>3.  Where can I get the wire.  Any help would be gratly appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Steve

I've worked on a couple of Herz' in the distant past.  As I recall, they
have a combination of iron, brass and phosphor bronze wiring.

There are a number of sources for such wire, and i can send them privately,
but I think you'd be wise to lurk on the hpschd-l list.

no subject line email to:
LISTSERV@LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU

TOTAL message:
subscribe hpschd-l

[no name/.sig file, etc.]

you'll get further instructions back.

I've been unsubbed for a while,  but there a lot of VERY knowledgable
people on that list. Someone might even have a stringing schedule.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(563)-387-1204  //  Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

-The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.