Steinway seminar

Paul Kupelian kupelian@Oswego.EDU
Thu Jun 20 14:22 MDT 2002

Wim,
I was in the last class that Bill Garlick taught.  At that time, all we
had to do was pay our way to New York and Steinway put up the rest.  A
very good deal indeed!!

If the format is still the same, your spend eight hours for most of the
days in a shop with three other students and whoever the instructor is
now. Each student has the use of his/hers Steinway "M" that has come from
the factory.  You learn all the ins and outs of that piano as well as what
is expected as far as regulation, voicing, tone production, etc.

I would be careful about the expression "factory trained".  I don't think
Steinway has this in mind with the student program.  I'm sure you are in
the program because your school is either an All Steinway school or has a
sufficient number of Steinways in the inventory.

The course is very worthwhile and comes highly recommemded *and* it is
very intense.  I know I am a much better technician because of it, but
then anyone who has studied under Bill would be; regardless of factory
that sponsors the program.

Regards and enjoy New York,
Paul
Paul Kupelian, RPT