Steinway seminar

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:08 MDT 2002

Wim,

 I completed the last of the seminars in March. The first one an
Introduction to the Steinway Piano was taught by Kevin Stock. The
second, Tuning and Tone Building was taught by John Patton. The third,
was Dampers, taught by Eric Schandall, Scott Jones and John Patton.
The fourth, Concert and Artist Preparation was taught by Eric
Schandall.
  I learned a tremendous amount at each one of these week long
seminars and made some good friends along the way. The toughest
seminar was by far the damper class. We each got a grand piano pulled
from the production line before the  damper assembly was installed. We
were given all the parts to install, back action, STRAIGHT damper
wires, heads, felt. The process was complete and thorough. We started
with a piano without a damper system and finished with a "functioning"
damper system at the end of the week.
 The instructors made me feel welcome and always took the time help
me understand the techniques that were new to me. They were very
considerate and gracious. Every time I visited Steinway and Sons I was
treated like royalty.
  Wim, Go,  make some new friends, eat a lot of great food, and enjoy
all the finer things that the greatest city in the world has to offer.

 If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to call me, my
cell # is 937.266.5151 or look me up while we are in Chicago, I will
be arriving Sunday night and staying in room 2138.

Peace be with you,

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University