tuning and teaching

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu Apr 25 11:45 MDT 2002

At the meeting in Rochester, I asked about a subject that is of interest to
me. I suggested that for schools where there are not enough piano for a full
time technician, or where there are too many piano for one, but not enough
for two, etc.) that the tuner's position include teaching a couple of
courses. What ever the combination would be to make the position full time.
Kent was there, and he didn't like the idea. He gave an answer that didn't
make much sense to me, and since we were really talking about the workload, I
didn't want  to pursue the topic much further.

If Kent is listening, I would like to ask if he could explain his reasoning
for not liking the idea of splitting the position between teaching and
tuning. I would also like to ask others on this list for your opinion.

In addition to my position as tuner/technician, I also teach two classes per
semester. One course I teach is called music management, which deals with the
management of music, copyrights, licenses, running a business from a music
perspective. The other class is careers in music, where we explore all the
different jobs in the music field. And I teach a class on how to raise money
for non profit organizations. As you can see, although they are related to
music, I am not teaching them because I am a piano tuner. I asked if I could
do this, for two reasons, I wanted to get back in the classroom, and I needed
the extra money. In a sense I am working two jobs. (I actually get two
different paychecks.)

I have approached the chair about teaching a class on piano maintenance, not
so much on how to tune and repair, but more on the line of what a piano is
all about. I want to call it "care and feeding of a piano." I do not want to
get into teaching tuning and repair. He is intereted in the class, but
because of budget constraint, no new classes are being processed right now.

What are some of your thoughts on this? Any of you doing a little of both?

Wim
U of Alabama