Formula Concerns

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Apr 22 22:01 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/23/02 12:51:41 AM !!!First Boot!!!, vem@email.byu.edu
writes:

> But it is the administrator who is making the decision how often a
> > piano should be tuned. And if he/she says piano faculty pianos should be
> > tuned once a week, then that is how often we, as employees, need to do
> that,
> > even if we don't agree with that.
>
> Woa there Wim.  We are hired not to merely be employees, we are experts in
> our
> field and should not be told how to do our jobs.  This should be totally
> unacceptable to those who are salaried, full-time techs at any universities.

Those who pay us are in control of what we do. I think, for the most part,
all of us are in positions where the administrator have a great deal of
respect for us, and probably won't tell us how to do our job. BUT, because we
are employed, we should not loose track of the fact that they do have the
right to do so.

> > Although having a total freedom in our job is something we all want,
> don't
> > forget, we do work for someone. And he/she/they do have the right to tell
> us
> > how often a piano should be tuned, and even how long we should take to
> tune
> > it. That is their way of maintaining control over the people who work for
> > them. If, in your opinion, a job should take longer, or if a piano should
> be
> > tuned more often, or less often, then as professionals, it is our
> > responsibility to educate the administrator. But I don't think we are in
> > position to tell him/her what to do.
>
> I think we are precisely in a position to tell them what should and will be
> done on any piano.

I have to reiterate again, that as long as we are employees, whether it is a
university, or a store, the employer has the right to tell the employee what
to do. Again, we hope it doesn't happen, but if an ignorant administrator
tells us to tune a concert piano once every two weeks, and keep all the
practice rooms tuned daily, if we want to keep our job, what choice do we
have?

> > It is by knowing how often a piano should be tuned, and how long it
> should
> > take, an administrator will more closely be able to determine how much
> time,
> > and money, is needed to maintain the pianos. That is what they want to
> know.
> > It is also their right to find someone who can do that work in the
> prescribed
> > amount of time.
>
> If you are a contracted tuner, maybe.

Even if you are salaried, or are paid by the hour. Unless you have a contract
that has a beginning and ending date, all of us, salaried or hourly wage, are
hired on what is referred to "at will" basis. The university has the right to
terminate our employment, for cause, at any time. For the most part, the
cause might be difficult to prove. But if there is an administrator who
really wants to get rid of you, there are ways to do that. And if the
administrator cannot find a "cause", he/she can make life difficult enough
for you to want to quit.

> > It is presumed that administrators are intelligent enough to know that
> not
> > every piano is the same, and that every situation is different. So while
> by
> > using the formula of how often a piano should tuned, how long it takes,
> > combined with what additional service is required, an administrator will
> have
> > a basic idea of how many hours are required to maintain the inventory, I
> > doubt seriously any one of them will around with a clip board looking
> over
> > our shoulder to make sure we do spend an hour tuning a piano once a week.
>
> Don't under estimate these types.

I guess these types are found about as often as those who will want to get
you fired.
I think both of realize neither case is going to happen very often.

Wim