Formula Concerns

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Mon Apr 22 21:17 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/22/02 5:51:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vem@email.byu.edu writes:

(Major snip)

And Vince wrote:

> If you are a contracted tuner, maybe.

Vince, I think even the contracted tuner should expect to have a high degree
of expertise.  That is one of the things I have been trying to say the last
couple years:  the CAUT contract tech is (or should also be) an expert.  The
Guidelines and formula should function as a tool for both employed and
contracted technicians to provide a school with good information.  We should
all be able to knowledgeably provide a school with an assessment of their
needs.  This doesn't ignore the reality of the school's budget
considerations, but unless we provide our school(s) with our professional
judgment (the school's crunched numbers) about their situation we are not
really doing our professional duty, and we may also be putting ourselves in a
position of vulnerability.

Administrators are, indeed, intelligent people.  Unfortunately, many are not
inclined to take piano technicians seriously, assuming the recommendations of
the piano professors, or the way things have always been done -- the
prevailing wisdom -- is preferable to some technician's study.  That doesn't
mean we have to go along.  Either we need to work to better represent the
value of our expertise, or, if the school is not interested, we are better to
walk away.  That might be easier for a contract tech than someone already
employed full-time, but some kind of clarity about where you stand is
important.  The school's workload numbers provide an important means of doing
this.  Even if we are in a process of revision, those numbers provide an
authority derived from the best work of our profession in the area.

Bill Shull, RPT
La Sierra University