uncomfy

TuneHunter@aol.com TuneHunter@aol.com
Mon Apr 22 14:12 MDT 2002

Michelle-

Okay, I'm a woman in the trade, and a very small one, at that.  I had a
similar situation a couple of years ago...similar, with regard to the
customer being crazy/weird.  Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference.

He had called and left a message and wanted to set up an appointment for me
to "fix" his piano, (he had hauled it from his sister's house on the back of
an open bed pickup truck in the pouring rain, and now it wouldn't play).  I
returned his call, set up the appointment and got all the necessary
information (he was a new customer).  We hung up and about 3 minutes later,
he called back and said that I sounded so nice on the phone, and intelligent,
blah, blah, blah, that he would like to ask me out on a date!  I told him
that I was flattered that he would ask me out, sight unseen, but that I was
already seeing someone (not really true) and that I didn't mix professional
and personal relationships, but thank you for asking.  I really wanted to
cancel that appointment, because he was so weird, and I was sure that he was
disturbed.  So, I called another piano technician friend of mine, to get his
opinion on the matter, described the conversation to him and he thought it
was very strange, and was sure that the man was an ax murderer.  So, we
agreed that at an appointed time, about ten minutes after my arrival on that
day, he would call me on my cell phone and check up on me.  Fortunately, when
I got there, the man's parents were there (who seemed normal), as well as the
man (who was scarier in person).  My friend called me at the appointed time
and I told him I was okay.  I gave him an estimate for the repairs (which was
quite high, as a deterrent), left, and he never called again

I do a couple of things, for safety reasons:
1. I always carry a cell phone, and have someone call me, if necessary, at a
particular time.  You can also program numbers to call, for quick access.
2. I do not give out my address, except to institutional accounts.
3. If I am tuning at night, at a college, for example, I make sure one of my
friends knows where I am.

And, yes, I agree with the others, that you do have a right to refuse to do
work for someone (and probably should in this case).  You don't even have to
give him a reason.  I DON'T agree that any 70 year old man would be easy to
knock down...in fact, I don't personally know of any 70 year old men that
would be easy for a 4'11 3/4" woman like me to knock down.  But he would sure
know that he had tangled with the wrong woman.

K-Mart also sells a small can of pepper spray for about $10, if using your
tuning hammer for a weapon, as Wim suggested, doesn't appeal to you.

Sheila Hunter
Salem College
Winston-Salem, NC